Sunday, September 19, 2010

Passion.



Culture.
Discoveries Orientation at the University of Denver presented all freshmen with many experiences that we will all take with us over the next four years. For me, certain aspects stood out more than others. Number one being the excitement of meeting countless new people that became friends within a few hours. Number two involved a much more cultural situation as I traveled into downtown Denver with my freshman seminar class. Not only did we go to the Denver Art Museum, we had the privilege to discover the world’s first photography gallery. And who was the tour guide? The original founder and visionary for the Camera Obscura Gallery. At the ripe young age of 90, he stood in front of fifteen eager college freshman girls and explained what was obviously written all over his heart – his love of photography. The passion he has for photography shone in his eyes as he pointed out the different prints and importance of each. Every picture has some special meaning for him and reason for being on the old chipped-paint walls. From the way he talked about the gallery, it was apparent he put everything into the little corner house that he could. I have passion in my life, love for the people around me, the ones who care so much, for art and skiing but being in his gallery completely opened my eyes. It gave me a drive to find something I am so absolutely in love with, something that makes me wake up every morning and sends me to sleep with sweet dreams. The Camera Obscura Gallery had blood and sweat and tears poured into it over the years, all so anyone could come in and enjoy this one man’s love of photography. I feel like he wanted to share this beauty he experiences through photos with the rest of the world. He was determined to spread the light and open his doors, welcoming anyone interested into his world of wonder. To experience that little glimpse of his passion was truly moving and something worth a CLiCK.